Director of Student Ministries - St. Matthews UMC, Annandale, VA
Director of Student Ministries St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church (SMUMC) is a welcoming and inclusive community where we share our faith, strive to live and grow as disciples of Jesus Christ and empower all people to develop and build strong relationships with God and one another. More information can be found at StMatthewsUMC.org. St. Matthew’s is seeking a full time Director of Student Ministries responsible for developing engaging programs that fits the needs of middle school, high school, and college students within our church and in our community. We strive to be an inclusive church that welcomes all people and especially students to come as they are to find community, build relationships and grow in their faith. The director will partner with church staff and ministry teams, provide enthusiastic leadership and recruit, train, and support volunteers. Must have a college degree and experience in guiding a student program. Experience in organizing and executing dynamic programs and supervising volunteers is preferred. Ongoing personal spiritual development and general understanding of the bible and UMC faith is expected.
Relationship to Church and Staff
- Staff – works under direction of the senior pastor.
- Performance is accountable to the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC)
- Church – oversees Christian education for middle school (including confirmation), high school and college, Youth Council, parents, and all volunteers working with children.
To lead the process of making disciples of Jesus Christ of St. Matthew’s youth and college age students. Programs, ministry volunteers, and total people involved should grow as the church grows. These programs should look for ways to serve and intersect with our community and neighbors.
- Develop, plan, and implement all aspects of a vibrant youth ministry in the areas of discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Lead existing programs Appalachian Service Project and Jeremiah Project (or suitable replacements) that have been important components of the youth program.
- Work collaboratively with the leadership of the youth music (traditional and modern worship) and handbell programs.
- Lead confirmation program for youth, primarily 8th grade.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills and ensure that youth are integrated into church leadership within the congregation.
- Recruit, train, and nurture volunteers. Ensure all volunteers are trained in and adhere to The Child Protection Policy.
- Presence on Sunday mornings is required and broader involvement in the life of the church is desired.
- Actively participate in the weekly staff meetings and monthly Church Council and Youth Council committee meetings.
- Effectively communicate ministry initiatives through a variety of methods such as phone, email, social media, bulletins, church website, etc.
- Monitor expenses and work within the designated church budget. ? All other tasks deemed appropriate by the Senior Pastor.
- Undergraduate degree and experience in guiding students through spiritual formation.
- Well-grounded in Christian faith with a personal theology that is in synchronicity with the United Methodist Church beliefs and polity.
- Openly and lovingly articulate the Christian faith and possesses a passion for other to grow in their relationship with God.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills with youth and adults.
- Team oriented and excellence motivated.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technical skills in MSOffice applications and the ability to stay current in social media applications.
- Strong organizational abilities including setting priorities, goal setting, and resource and budget management.
- Acceptable background check which shall include, but not be limited to the Virginia State Police criminal check and sex offender check.
Contact: Rev. Mike Plasters
8617 Little River Tpke Annandale VA 22003
Email: Click to email
Attached file(s): view file