Job Description: The director of student ministries will maintain, develop, and grow a ministry integrating students (grades 6-12) into the life of Ovilla United Methodist Church and its community. Providing spiritual leadership aligning with the theology, polity, mission, vision, and values of the church, the Director of Student Ministries will create and sustain weekly and long-term programs in order to intentionally move students towards a life of discipleship.
• Develop, guide, oversee, and implement a vibrant ministry for junior and senior high students in order to reach people with the light of God’s hope and love.
• Be a visionary leader within the congregation and community for student ministries.
• Provide leadership and a staff presence during church and community ministries involving children, youth, and families.
• Maintain records of participants, meetings, policies, and planning for student ministries.
• Develop and encourage Christian leadership from both student and young adult leaders.
• Partner with the pastor in evaluating and developing further ministries for children, students, and families.
• Maintain an active presence in the church and surrounding communities.
• Create a comprehensive two-year plan for the student ministries program including: preparing objectives, goals, strategies, and measurements for the youth program.
• Lead and organize effective student ministry programs implementing fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, discipleship, as well as service projects.
• Recruit, train, and lead adult volunteer leaders.
• Help to develop leadership skills within the students by enabling them to plan and conduct some of their own activities.
• Provide spiritual direction for students on an individual basis.
• Maintain contact with students and parents, keeping them informed of ongoing activities.
• Keep parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement.
• Submit an article and calendar of student ministry events for the bi-weekly newsletter.
• Integrate intentionally the student ministry into all phases of church life, striving for an intergenerational culture which unites and complements other church and community ministries.
• Maintain the student ministry budget.
• Participate in the Church Council and various committees in the church.
• Plan and facilitate participation in the junior and senior high Central Texas Conference Youth in Missions (CTCYM) trips.
• Facilitate participation in Glen Lake Camp and Retreat Center Mid-Winter retreats and summer camps.
• Attend all worship services and relevant church events.
• Create and maintain a viable social media and web presence.
• Mentor the 8:30AM/Student Ministry Worship Leader.
• Regularly attend extra-curricular functions of students, including school lunches and sporting events.
• Other duties as required.
• A vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Ability to work with youth and adult volunteers.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to plan, organize, lead, and guide complex projects and spontaneous activities related to youth ministries.
• Competence in basic lay counseling and listening skills appropriate for youth ministry.
• Consent and ability to pass a background/credit/driver’s license check and complete Safe Sanctuary training.
• Willingness to work with minimal supervision.
• Willingness to work cooperatively with others on staff ministry team, to maintain a positive outlook, and to be flexible in solving problems.
• Vision, passion, energy and heart for the unchurched.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Prior Youth Ministry Experience Preferred Qualifications:
• Musical Ability
• Background in United Methodist Church Reports to: Pastor Compensation Range: (based on experience)
Contact: Melissa DeLoach
Address: 1403 Red Oak Creek Road Ovilla TX 75154