The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for overseeing all financial aspects of the Michigan Annual Conference, including, but not limited to, budget coordination, cash and investment management, central treasury operations, financial reporting and accounting management of conference assets. The role is also responsible for the Information Technology Department.
• Perform all treasury responsibilities in accordance with the appropriate sections of the most currently approved version of The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church.
• Receive, record, and account for all Annual Conference apportioned funds, bequests, gifts, and grants. Disburse all Conference funds that are properly authorized.
• Maintain, review, and perfect the general ledger. Function as controller when needed, making sure all general ledger work is correct in preparation for closing at year end and ensure that the beginning balances for all designated fund accounts are properly forwarded to the new year.
• Assist the Audit Committee of the Council on Finance and Administration in the selection of the Certified Public Accounting firm to be engaged to prepare the annual audit, prepare information needed for the CPA firm to perform the audit, attend exit and/or presentation conferences with the Audit Committee offered by the CPA firm and revise the procedures of the Finance Office according to the audit findings with consultation of the Council.
• Prepare and/or review, distribute, and interpret accurate and timely month-end and year-end reports for all Conference boards and agencies, local churches, and other related parties as may be required.
• Convert financial information into actionable plans and communicate results throughout the organization. Identify and drive opportunities related to growth, operating efficiencies, revenue maximization and cost mitigation.
• In conjunction with the Council on Finance and Administration and its Personnel Committee: Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and manage Finance Office professional and/or support staff to accomplish the responsibilities contained in this job description; conduct regular performance reviews as stated in the support staff employee handbook; nurture and maintain within the staff a positive, helpful attitude in responding to requests for reports, interpretation, and advice on financial matters pertaining to the Annual Conference.
• Prepare and develop the Conference budget in consultation with the Council on Finance and Administration, Conference Leadership Team, and Board of Pension & Health Benefits.
• In consultation with the Council on Finance and Administration, calculate and distribute Ministry Shares (apportionments) to local churches.
• In consultation with the Conference Statistician, provide data as needed from the remittance system and assist local churches to comply with year-end reporting requirements.
• Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Finance or Accounting required. Master’s degree (M.A.) or CPA designation preferred.
• Seven to ten years’ experience in hands-on accounting, including all aspects from initial entry through financial statements.
• Management experience in supervising professional staff is required.
• Comprehensive knowledge of non-profit governance, management, accounting, financial planning and business processes is highly desirable.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products with an emphasis on EXCEL, familiarity with standard accounting packages or the current financial software of the Michigan Annual Conference is a plus.
• Deep knowledge of, and commitment to, the United Methodist Church and how it functions at the local church, district, conference and general church levels.
• Willingness and ability to travel within Michigan, as well as nationally for connectional events and training. Expected to work weekends and evening, as needed.
• Support for the vision, mission, and core values of the Michigan Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org No Staffing Agencies or Recruitment Firms
Contact: Cianta Hogan
Attached file(s): view file