“There they crucified him, and with him two others, one on either side, with Jesus between them. Pilate also had an inscription written and put on the cross. It read, “Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews.” Many of the Jews read this inscription, because the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek.” (John 19:18-20) The great American patriot Thomas Paine once wrote: “That which we obtain too easily, we esteem too lightly. It is dearness only which gives everything its value, Heavens knows how to put a proper price on its goods.” Come to the foot of the cross and gaze at the sign:
- He is King/Lord
- He is Savior
- This is the price He paid on your and my behalf.
- Jesus on the Cross is God saying, “you don’t have to, I have”
- The cross is more than a nice theory
- The cross is greater than a kind thought
- At the cross God incarnate hangs at the human juncture of pain, sin and love