Setting goals can be the difference between success and failure. Every congregation in the Central Texas Conference has been asked to track their progress against goals they set for themselves each Faill. This initiative, to set and follow goals, comes as part of the denomination’s Vital Congregations initiative outlined in the Call to Action Report from the Council of Bishops.
As part of this initiative, each congregation is asked to prayerfully consider their goals each year and offer them as a gift for God. Read on to learn more about those goals. The process to set these goals is through the Vital Congregations
website which is simple to use and easy to access.
Three key elements define a vital congregation:
- Growing in average worship attendance and professions of faith
- Engaging People in multiple ministries including small groups, mission and outreach.
- Generous in stewardship and giving within and beyond the local church.
The goals you will set as identified by the Vital Congregations initiative include:
- Disciples in Worship (Average Worship Attendance)
- Disciples making new Disciples (Professions of Faith)
- Disciples growing in their faith (Number of Small Groups = Groups that meet together regularly in order to support, encourage and hold one another accountable in their relationship with Christ.)
- Disciples engaged in mission (Number of Disciples doing outreach in the community and in the world.)
- Disciples sharing their resources for mission (Amount of financial resources given to mission – including World Service, etc.)
Our churches set goals to:
- Give clarity and focus to ministry. Clarity and focus connects disciples to purpose and focuses their attention toward the purpose of the church.
- Move the church forward. Without goals, congregations can become stuck in a rut, doing the same things over and over without making progress.
- Create greater accountability. Goals that are prayerfully developed and discerned with God in mind keep us accountable to the ministry of Jesus Christ. Holy Spirit inspired goals that are achieved make us more like the body of Christ.
- Make the congregation better. There is a saying, you do not have to be sick to get better. Good goals make us better. Not for better sake but make us better for serving the community.
After setting goals, each congregation is invited to celebrate them and strive to do all in their power to achieve them. They do this by responding to a weekly Vital Signs email in which they track that week’s metrics and share your stories of God’s moving in your congregation. Together, God will bless us and increase our numbers because of our faithfulness to God’s call for our denomination.
Vital Congregations and Vital Signs Resources: